Students in Suzy Nead’s Group Communication class (COMS2304) are gearing up for a busy holiday season. As part of their class curriculum, the students collect donations on behalf of many local non-profit organizations.
“The students collect donations from many different sources, including businesses, churches, and individuals,” Nead said. “They are responsible for getting the donations to the group, or to plan and implement a project for the organization.”
Not only do area non-profits benefit from the students’ efforts, it makes class lectures applicable to the working world, Nead said.
“The project makes the students use the rhetorical sensitivity skills taught in class, as well as recognizing roles and behaviors of themselves and others,” Nead explained. “The students follow a problem-resolution agenda that helps them maximize their efforts.”
This year, the class is collecting supplies or working on projects for the following groups:
- Arlington Animal Shelter and Children’s Medical Center in Dallas
- Collecting personal hygiene products for the American Red Cross
- Donating supplies for the troops through the organization 4 the Troops
- Hosting a “senior prom” for a local senior center
- Fundraising for a new gymnasium at a Burleson private school
- Organizing a play day at The All Church Home in Fort Worth
- Hosting a clothing drive with Waxahachie High School
Donations for the Group Communication projects may be dropped off in the Communication Department office in Fine Arts Room 118 until Dec. 1. For more information, call Suzy Nead at 817-272-0731 or firstname.lastname@example.org.